HNHacker News
TopNewBestAskShowJobs

throwaway_obv

1 karma · joined June 17, 2018

submissionscomments
throwaway_obv··on Ask HN: Should I quit my startup?
I'll work on the roadmap idea for sure. Are there any resources I can refer to for this? I've not really done that kind of work before, so I don't know how best to go about it.

> If your proposal is not accepted, even in some inevitably cut-down form, what is then entirely implicit, with no threats or rashness or backing people into corners, is that it's kinda obvious that your personal point of view and the general company's point of view have diverged. And that's the time to start looking for a new opportunity.

I believe this is why you had put the emphasis on saying "I believe this _needs_ to be done".

College is not really an option for me in my current situation. Regardless of anything else that happens, I will start to focus a lot more on networking just so I don't get backed into a corner anytime I'm in a hard place.

throwaway_obv··on Ask HN: Should I quit my startup?
Any ideas on where I might be able to find a mentor?
throwaway_obv··on Ask HN: Should I quit my startup?
That sounds like a good idea. Couldn't the I will leave if you don't do this part sound like a threat and sour the relationship?
throwaway_obv··on Ask HN: Should I quit my startup?
Thanks, I'll work on the points you've mentioned before talking to the CEO.

Should I tell the CEO that I _might_ be leaving when I'm not completely sure (maybe he agrees to the above and things can be worked out), or wait until I've made a decision to give them a notice?

throwaway_obv··on Ask HN: Should I quit my startup?
Yes, I think the product could be better with more than 1 engineer working on it. Currently I have to support our app, landing pages, office IT, do sysadmin stuff, and automate things for the operations team, and my attention is fractured between these different hats.

I've done everything in my power to convince the CEO, and I've managed to get a budget that would be about 70% of what is market rate - but the CEO has put additional demands on that, like extra working hours, which would be a dealbreaker for most decent candidates. My CEO says I should hire someone and train them if I find the budget limiting.

How would you approach the CEO about this topic?

I have a 15% stake, with 4 year vesting. I do think my equity is on the lower-end of things. It started out at 5 and I negotiated it up to this number, so I don't think I have any more scope there.