Yeah he is in rough shape, to be honest we (doctors/wife/family) expected him to go when he was 75-76 or so. He has been hanging on that is for sure. I figure if I can extend his 1 year, to be even say 1 year and 6 months, it would be worth it.
He has been on/off oxygen in the past and he's at that stage where he is waiting to kick the can, and is a very lucky man who has a wife of 66 years, who still takes care of him everyday.
I can guarantee if his wife passed, he would go the next day and that he is holding on because he knows how much she loves him.