SpaceX Launch Targeting 6:03pm ET, Extreme Weather Preventing First Stage Recovery
spacex.com
spacex.com
https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/cgi-bin/wxmap_single.cg...
tldr: Not a good day for boating
Also, I guess if reuse becomes routine and they need to land in the sea (because there aren't enough fuel to return to land) they could build a huge vessel capable of handling high waves.
Doesn't the falcon heavy animation show the stages all landing at a different facility?
Given that most every launch will point in a different direction from the launch site (different inclinations), boats would seem the best option. They could then haul the stage back to base by sea.
I believe the Falcon Heavy animation shows the rockets returning to the launch site.
[0] https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zp15b_P5ERVk.kQ...
[1] https://mapsengine.google.com/map/u/0/viewer?mid=zp15b_P5ERV...
And yes, they are currently constructing a new spaceport in Texas near Brownsville at the far southeastern corner of the state. Completion and first launches are anticipated in 2016. I'd guess they might use the current drone ship for landings from that one as well, but a lot can change in 2+ years so we'll have to see.
http://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/2kghua/falcon9r_boos...
It looks like they indeed perform a u-turn, with the proviso that some of the return is accomplished by pushing higher, increasing orbital period, and waiting for the earth to rotate underneath.
In terms of weather, I reckon they could have a secondary site to land if weather prevented it in the primary zone. If you mean in the interim before approval of domestic landings on or near launch sites, spaceX probably has pre-existing contracts to do launches. Maybe they would discount them a bit for a better window, prior to Air Force/Regulatory approval.
Because recovery reduces the capability of the rocket. If you look at SpaceX's web site you'll see they plan to have two versions of the Falcon 9 and Falcon 9 Heavy. One version will be recoverable, and one will not. A customer that needs ever last m/sec out of the launcher will not be able to use the latter.
Regardless of any contractual obligations, I think it's pretty obvious that future customers would be wary of SpaceX if they were to intentionally delay a paying customer's payload for a completely optional test, unrelated to the mission that was paid for.
The waves only prevent attempt at landing on the barge. They can still test the stabilization (under very adverse conditions!).
So while this may not be as exciting for us observers, it'll still be very useful for SpaceX.
Not trying to be snarky - I have no idea! But that could be reason?
Imagine if you paid UPS to send a package across the country and they delayed your package by a week because they're testing a new cargo plane and conditions aren't currently favorable for testing, even though the normal cargo plane would do the job fine right now. You'd probably be pretty unhappy that UPS is putting their own internal testing ahead of doing what you paid them for.
Yeah, due to weather and technical problems. Obviously there's no way of getting around those. It would be a much bigger deal to the customer to delay just because "SpaceX wants to".
> how could delaying one more day be worth more (ie cost to SpaceX) than the value of the recovered rocket times the probability of recovery. And the correct answer is ... it would be a delay of over a week, not just another day
No, even if they had a launch window tomorrow, they would not have delayed another day. The correct answer is that the price of delaying just to conduct an optional test is decreased confidence from potential launch customers that their payloads will not be delayed due to SpaceX's whims, customers who already question SpaceX's ability to launch on time. When someone pays you tens of millions of dollars, you don't get to delay their flight just because you want to test something experimental - it doesn't work that way. SpaceX will have many more opportunities to test their landing procedures, it's not worth pissing off a customer just to be more aggressive on the recovery timeline.
> another day or two
At this point, due to the moon's orbit interfering with the trajectory of this launch, they have to wait another week or two, not a day, if they scrub this evening's launch. Waiting 1-2 more week for this launch might mean pushing other customer's launch dates back even further, thus incurring more delays and more cost overruns won't help SpaceX improve anything faster.
I can't wait to see how the Heavy turns out.
The next landing attempt will be with the CRS-6 launch, likely in April.