Mac OS X 10.6.1 is out already.
support.apple.com
support.apple.com
details at http://my.opera.com/danaleks/blog/2009/09/11/opera-10-slow-i...
If you look at the list of fixes in 10.6.1, do you see anything that would've kept you from making 10.6.0 work on your Mac?
Either way, it pays to wait if you're risk averse. And I am.
Right now I'm running a byzantine mess of a 10.3 upgraded to 10.4 upgrade to 10.5 and then transferred through 2 machines via Time Machine.
But it just got me thinking that we must understand these heuristics and not just follow them blindly.
I wasn't saying the OC did a bad thing, just thinking out loud about how "wait for the first point release" can be arbitrary since with such a popular software, you could read the feedback on various forums to see how stable it is.
If you're going to be having a major problem, chances are others will have it too. And if it's a minor problem that almost nobody has except you, it might not be fixed in the first point release.
I agree that with such widely distributed software, browsing forums and news aggregators might well be as useful as waiting to see what's fixed.
PlugSuit, on the other hand, is SIMBL-compatible and uses a completely different method of injection. The author just needs to work around some new limitations introduced in Snow Leopard before it works with 64-bit apps. I would keep your eyes peeled for an update.
So they mixed in a few small improvements and shipped it as a point release. It played well, I haven't seen any articles in e.g. computerworld that Apple finally fixed the security problem.
In particular, I've had issues with ghc and R. Most other software (both common and uncommon) has been okay, but I'd recommend most people wait another month or so, unless 10.6 fixes something important to you, or is otherwise significant.