We could tag the new API v2:
+ Makes the "v1" and "v2" distinction very clear in the import path.
- Confusing: google.golang.org/protobuf@v1 doesn't exist, but v2 does.
- In ten years, hopefully nobody cares about the old github.com/golang/protobuf and the confusion is gone.
We could tag the new API v1:
- Less visually distinct in the import path.
+ Seems to make sense for the first version of google.golang.org/protobuf to be a v1.
+ If we decide it was a terrible idea, it's easier to go from v1 to v2 than to roll back from v2 to v1.
We waffled back and forth for quite a while on this, and eventually decided that the first version of google.golang.org/protobuf would be a v1. Then as we got closer to release (but with a certain amount of usage of v0 in the wild), we decided not to second-guess that decision but to start with a version that wouldn't overlap with any version of github.com/golang/protobuf to avoid confusion when someone reports a bug in "v1.0.1".
Maybe it was the wrong choice. If it was the worst choice we've made in the new API, I'll be happy!