Wow, way to blame the victim.
The first two times the decision was made above my head.
The third time I was in the C-suite and it was a joint decision. I had a heart-to-heart with our lawyers because I _did not_ want to settle. Our head IP lawyer said he felt me -- he thought the suit was bullshit, would love to fight, etc -- and if we decided to defend he'd be 100% with us. However, his firm was currently engaged in defending another suit with the litigant and it had been appealed through the circuit court in Texas. At that time it was pending hearing by the Supreme Court. That client had already accumulated more than $250,000 in legal fees and there was no guarantee that they'd win. Even if they did win, it was unlikely that they'd be able to recover any of those fees. He estimated total cost of fighting would be between $250,000 and $500,000.
I reached out to friends at large tech companies to see if they had experience dealing with the litigant. I heard back from two of them that they did have experience, and that they settled. Since there was an ongoing case involving the litigant that was already heading to the Supreme Court (and one that had at least as good a chance of winning) we opted _not_ to spend a significant amount of our venture capital fighting an expensive battle that, at best, would cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars and, at worst, we would lose in Texas.
In the end we spent significantly more money on investigating a defense then we actually paid in settlement.
If you're interested in covering the financial costs associated with fighting these suits please let me know. I would definitely take you up on that and fight all day every day.